What do Peyton Manning, Albert Pujols, Ryan Hall and Stephanie Catley all have in common? They are all professional athletes who have suffered with plantar fasciitis at one time or another during their careers. At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know that this condition affects both professional and amateur athletes. Plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the plantar fascia—a long band of tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot—can cause pain in the arch of the foot or the heel. There are a variety of factors that can increase your risk for this condition including:
- Biomechanical issues such as flatfeet or overly high arches
- Wearing non-supportive shoes
- Playing on hard, flat surfaces
- Being overweight
If your Podiatrist diagnoses plantar fasciitis there are a number of nonsurgical treatment options and suggestions that may help:
- Limiting physical activities for a time to give your heel and arch a rest
- Stretching and physical therapy—exercises that give calf muscles a good stretch can ease pain
- Don’t walk barefoot—it puts extra strain on the plantar fascia
- Change to shoes that have better arch support and a slightly raised heel
- Night splint to help keep the plantar fascia stretched overnight and reduce early morning pain that is characteristic of this condition.
At Dr. Jill’s, we offer several products that can relieve pain caused by plantar fasciitis and help reduce inflammation of the plantar fascia including, Gel Heel Cup, Plantar Fasciitis Arch Sleeve, Arch Binder and our Plantar Fascial Straps – Moleskin.
We offer a wide variety of products that can help improve your comfort and performance when doing sports. Check our online catalog for a complete listing. All of our products can be easily ordered through our website or contact our friendly and professional staff for help by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).