February 7th is National Wear Red Day sponsored by the American Heart Association to highlight awareness of women’s heart disease issues as part of American Heart Month. At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know there is a real connection between foot and heart health. Heart disease impedes circulation which can lead to devastating foot problems. Conversely, your feet play an essential role in allowing you to stay active—a key component in a lifestyle that battles against heart disease. Consider these statistics:
- Heart disease is the number one killer of women, taking more lives than all types of cancer combined.
- Heart disease is responsible for the deaths of one in three women.
- Heart disease is known as the “silent killer.” Often, there are no warning signs or symptoms before a first heart attack.
The good news is that you can take steps to significantly reduce your risk of heart disease. One very important way to do this is by staying physically active and exercising regularly. At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know this is difficult to do if your feet hurt or you have a chronic foot problem that makes fitness activities painful. That’s why we offer many products that can help relieve foot pain and make working out more comfortable. Here’s a sampling of how we can help you avoid foot discomfort and stay active.
Bunions produce a large protuberance at the base of the big toe that develops as a result of the joint becoming enlarged and moving out of place. As a bunion progresses, it becomes more painful to wear shoes. Our Gel Bunion Cushion, Bunion Care Compression Sleeve and our Slip On Felt Bunion Pad can bring swift relief. If an ingrown toenail has created a sore toe, try our All Gel Toe Cap or our Gel and Fabric Toe Cap. Painful corns? Gel Corn Pads and Foam Toe Tubes can protect and increase comfort.
Whatever is impeding your ability to exercise, chances are we have a product that can help. Check our online catalog for a complete listing of what we offer. All of our products can be easily ordered through our website or contact our friendly and professional staff for help by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).
What do Peyton Manning, Albert Pujols, Ryan Hall and Stephanie Catley all have in common? They are all professional athletes who have suffered with plantar fasciitis at one time or another during their careers. At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know that this condition affects both professional and amateur athletes. Plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of the plantar fascia—a long band of tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot—can cause pain in the arch of the foot or the heel. There are a variety of factors that can increase your risk for this condition including:
- Biomechanical issues such as flatfeet or overly high arches
- Wearing non-supportive shoes
- Playing on hard, flat surfaces
- Being overweight
If your Podiatrist diagnoses plantar fasciitis there are a number of nonsurgical treatment options and suggestions that may help:
- Limiting physical activities for a time to give your heel and arch a rest
- Stretching and physical therapy—exercises that give calf muscles a good stretch can ease pain
- Don’t walk barefoot—it puts extra strain on the plantar fascia
- Change to shoes that have better arch support and a slightly raised heel
- Night splint to help keep the plantar fascia stretched overnight and reduce early morning pain that is characteristic of this condition.
At Dr. Jill’s, we offer several products that can relieve pain caused by plantar fasciitis and help reduce inflammation of the plantar fascia including, Gel Heel Cup, Plantar Fasciitis Arch Sleeve, Arch Binder and our Plantar Fascial Straps – Moleskin.
We offer a wide variety of products that can help improve your comfort and performance when doing sports. Check our online catalog for a complete listing. All of our products can be easily ordered through our website or contact our friendly and professional staff for help by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).
At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know that hammertoes can be extremely debilitating. At first, you may just notice a slight contracture of a toe. Over time, however, the toe becomes more bent and increasingly rigid. Your Podiatrist can help determine the cause and best treatment for your hammertoe. One way to bring relief for hammertoes and also slow their progression is by making appropriate footwear choices. Avoid shoes styles that have narrow or pointy toe boxes and high heels as these force the foot forward and put extra pressure on the toes. Below are 3 products we offer that can help with this common condition.
- Wrap Straps – our unique wrap can secure two or three toes together to help re-position a hammertoe. Adjustable Velcro closure ensures a proper fit. Our Wrap Straps can be cut for optimal sizing. They feature soft, foam cushioning to ease irritation and friction from footwear rubbing on the top of your toe. Constructed of thin, comfortable material, these straps can be worn underneath any socks and shoes.
- 1 Toe Gel Crest Pad – this pad made of Premier Gel has a soft stretchy gel loop that slips easily but securely over your toe. The 1 Toe Gel Crest is a versatile product which can be used multiple ways. It is able to elevate and lift the tips of toes and also to hold down a toe that is moving out of place. These pads are washable and can be reused many times for a comfortable and economical aid in treating hammertoes.
- Gel and Fabric Toe Cap – simply slip on the soft, expandable gel pad over your hammertoe for instant relief from the pressure of footwear. Designed for use in all styles of footwear, the Gel and Fabric Toe Cap – has a padded toe tip. An additional benefit it offers is a slow release of mineral oil which softens and moisturizes the skin of the toe.
- All Gel Toe Caps – latex free, these Gel Toe Caps slip on easily and creates instant relief by cushioning the tips of the your toes.
- Ribbed Gel Toe Caps – fully lined with gel to alleviate any discomfort with your toes. Conveniently sold in S/M, L/XL which comes with 6 caps per bag and XXL comes with 2 caps per bag.
We offer a wide variety of products for all types of foot disorders. Check our online catalog for a complete listing. All of our products can be easily ordered through our website or contact us by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).
At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know that calluses can make everyday activities like standing and walking extremely painful. What causes a callus to form? Calluses can be a sign of repeated pressure being applied to a part of your foot or rubbing of socks or shoes that don’t fit properly. Over time, layers of skin build up as a way of protecting a sore spot. It may be necessary for a Podiatrist to examine your feet and determine the underlying cause of the callus before it can be eliminated. Patients are advised not to attempt “bathroom surgery” and cut away their own calluses. Instead, use one of our products to help ease the pain.
To relieve painful calluses, the key is taking pressure (off-loading) away from the callused area. This is achieved by choosing the correct pad and applying it to the right area. The pad needs to be placed around the area of the painful callus, so you are walking on the pad and not bearing weight on the callus. Calluses will not hurt if you are not applying weight on them.
Gel Callus Cushions—these soft gel cushions reduce discomfort while standing or walking. Gel Callus Cushions are self-stick for easy application and are designed for use in all styles of footwear. A center hole surrounds the tender callus and transfers pressure from the sore spot to the cushion. They are also washable and so can be used many times. Each package includes a smaller bonus pad that can be used on any spot where shoes may rub. Note: cushions should be removed for 3-4 hours each day to allow skin to breathe.
U-Shaped Pad Gel– these soft gel, latex free cushions the calluses and reduces pressure while walking. The u-shape portions protect the calluses, therefore alleviating the friction and pain.
U-Shaped Pad Foam—made of non-medicated, medical grade foam, these cushions surround a callus with a u-shape to reduce pain and create a barrier between skin and shoes. U-Shaped Pads Foam are available in several thicknesses for a comfortable fit. Adhesive backing keeps pad firmly in place. These versatile pads are also good for metatarsalgia and tender bony prominences on your foot. The U–Shaped Pad Foam 1/8 -inch thickness is sold both individually and in a pack of 100.
U-Shaped Pad Felt—another option for relief of callus pain and pressure is felt. Our U-Shaped Pad Felt makes walking easier, providing long lasting comfort by shifting pressure away from skin irritations. These are for use in any style of shoe and are made of medical grade, non-medicated felt. The U- Shaped Pad Felt 1/8 inch thickness is sold both individually and in a pack of 100.
You can easily order any of these or our other products (view our online catalog for a complete listing) through our website or contact us by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).