At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know that patients with bunions suffer even more during the holiday season. Hours of shopping at the mall, standing on long lines at the post office and grocery store, trying to squeeze your feet into festive shoes—all of these activities and longer periods of time on your feet make bunion pain worse.
Reduce the Pain
There are ways to help keep bunion discomfort under control:
- It’s best to avoid shoes with high heels and narrow toe boxes that squeeze the toes and put extra pressure on bunions.
- Take breaks, especially when it comes to standing for long periods of time. Put your feet up if possible, but at the very least, get off them and sit for periods of time throughout the day. Yes, it may take a little longer to complete your holiday tasks, but you’ll be able to do more in the long run.
- Wear your custom orthotic as much as possible if your Podiatrist has prescribed one for your bunion.
Products that Can Help
We offer many products that can help with bunion pain. A sampling of these include:
- Gel Bunion Cushion – a flexible gel pad that slips easily over your big toe provides superior cushioning over the bunion and feels silky smooth against your skin. The gel pad conforms to the shape of your bunion and gives immediate relief from footwear pressure. Designed for use in all styles of footwear, the Gel Bunion Cushion can be washed and re-used over and over again.
- Gel Bunion Sleeve – provides superior cushioning over the bunion area and slips on easily over the big toe. Gel bunion sleeves also come in two sizes S/M and L/XL.
- Spreader with Bunion Combo – this product not only cushions and protects bunions, it separates the toes, encouraging proper alignment. It also prevents the first and second toes from rubbing together, thereby reducing painful irritation between the toes. The Spreader with Bunion Combo is latex free and can be worn on either the left or right foot.
- Bunion Care Compression Sleeve – slipping over your entire foot, the Bunion Care Compression Sleeve has a large, soft gel pad inside the fabric that protects the bunion from abrasion and pressure. It also releases a medical grade mineral oil to continually moisturize and soften the skin. The pad conforms to your foot and will not create bulk in your shoes. It’s latex free and hypoallergenic.
- Gel Bunion Night Splint – this product not only reduces bunion pressure and aligns the big toe but also stretches the muscles and tendons to slow down the progression of a bunion. Comes with an adjustable mid-foot binder and gel along the inside with leather on the exterior. Gel Bunion Night Splints come in 2 sizes that fit comfortably on both men and woman.
- Bunion Night Splint – this splint properly aligns the big toe to reduce the bunion pressure and helps stretch the muscles and tendons to slow down the progression of a bunion. Bunion Night Splint is latex free, comes in two sizes and recommended for surgery recovery immediately following the surgical dressing removal.
- Felt Bunion Pad – this removable and slip on felt helps alleviate the pressure of the bunion. Can be worn two different ways to accommodate the pressure you are experiencing.
These several products we offer all can help relieve your bunion pain. We also offer products that can help with many other foot and ankle conditions. Shop our online catalog to see them all or visit our Deerfield Beach, FL store. For more information, contact us by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).
November is American Diabetes Month. This disease affects over 30 million Americans with another 1.5 million being diagnosed each year. At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know that diabetic patients have special requirements for foot health. Poor circulation, often associated with diabetes, makes it difficult for oxygen-rich blood to get to wounds, particularly in your feet, which slows the healing process. Wounds that are difficult to heal are at risk for infection and, in the worst-case scenario, can lead to amputation. For this reason, it’s essential that patients with diabetes avoid sores and blisters. One way to do this is by reducing any possibilities of friction or pressure on the foot. If you have a bunion, hammertoe or other deformity, great care must be taken to ensure that corns are not rubbed raw or excessive pressure is not put on calluses.
Below are some products that can help protect your feet if you are a patient with diabetes:
Metatarsal and Bunion Protector Sleeve —offering two benefits in one pad, the Metatarsal and Bunion Protector Sleeve provides cushioned protection for bunions and also reduces pressure on the ball of the foot. The gel is contained within a soft elasticated forefoot sleeve which keeps the pad comfortably in place. It is available in sizes small and large and will fit either your left or right foot. Sleeves are washable and re-usable. Our Gel Bunion Sleeve also offers superior cushioning and relief from any footwear pressure and is available in two sizes: S/M and L/XL.
Metatarsal Pads—pure silicone gel provides an excellent cushion which increases comfort and protects skin from breaking down. Plantar fat pad atrophy is natural as you age but this can leave the ball of your foot vulnerable to friction and excessive pressure. Other conditions such as metatarsalgia can be relieved with our Gel Metatarsal Pads, our Gel Ball of Foot Cushions or our Metatarsal Pads which are offered in either felt or foam and 1/4 or 1/8 inch thickness.
Felt and Foam Corn Pads—corns form in response to footwear rubbing on the skin. Corns can become irritated and even turn into sores if not protected. Both our Felt Corn Pads and Foam Corn Pads cushion and protect corns. A center hole placed over the corn creates a barrier between foot gear pressure and the corn. An adhesive backing keeps the pad in place.
To see all the products we offer, visit our online catalog or our Deerfield Beach, FL store or contact us for additional production information by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).
At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads we understand how your feet affect the rest of your body. After all, your feet are the foundation of your entire body. How your feet feel has a significant impact on how the rest of your body feels and performs. Biomechanical dysfunction in your feet can cause misalignment and imbalances that cause stress and lead to foot disorders such as plantar fasciitis, metatarsalgia, post-tibial tendonitis, Morton’s neuroma, Achilles tendonitis, bunions, heel spurs, shin splints and tarsal tunnel syndrome. It can also result in knee, hip and back pain.
Pre-fab orthotics can help adjust for biomechanical problems. Other benefits of our pre-fab orthotics include:
- Help correct abnormal foot motion, provide support and stability, absorb shock and shift pressure off of uncomfortable spots on your foot
- Correct abnormal walking patterns which in turn increases balance and helps prevent falls
- Bring relief of foot pain and soreness for patients who are overweight, have to be on their feet for long periods of time or who have a leg length discrepancy
- Allow athletes to optimize performance while enhancing foot comfort
- Protect and increase comfort for patients with chronic conditions like diabetes and arthritis
- Slow or halt the progression of existing foot conditions
- Lightweight, super-thin design that is sturdy and durable
- Base that is anti-microbial and anti-bacterial
- Designed by a podiatrist
- Lower cost than custom-made orthotics
Our Arch Steppers and Memory Molds are available for men and women, can be used for all styles of footwear and have provided comfort and relief to patients for over 16 years.
Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads offers many products to relieve a full spectrum of foot and ankle problems. To view all of our products, take a look at our online catalog or visit our store in Deerfield Beach, FL. You can place your order online or contact us at: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).
At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads we know that when the cooler days of fall arrive, more patients will be looking for ways to decrease the pain caused by bunions. Bunions are a deformity of the joint at the base of the big toe. They are most often caused by defective foot mechanics but can also be the result of an injury or arthritis. Whatever the reason, when you have a bunion, the big toe begins to move out of place and drift toward the second toe. Over time, the misalignment of the joint causes a bony protrusion to form on the outside of your big toe. During summer months many people are wearing sandals and other open front styles of shoes. When it’s time to go back to wearing closed shoe styles, the pain from a bunion will seem worse than ever.
Products That Can Help
We have several products that can help with bunion pain. Below, we highlight just a few:
Foam Toe Tubes—this product offers a soft, seamless cotton lining surrounded by spongy foam outer layers. These protect and cushion a bunion from the pressure and friction caused by shoes. The Foam Toe Tubes are designed to fit any size or shape toe. They can be cut to the desired length for a perfect fit. A picture instruction sheet is included in every box.
Gel Bunion Cushion—these flexible cushions feature a soft and stretchy loop that fits over your toe with a gel pad that covers the bunion. The Gel Bunion Cushion will conform to the shape of your bunion and will not get tight. It can be used in all types of footwear. Another benefit of these cushions is that they are reusable. Simply wash with a mild soap and water and allow to dry completely to use again and again. Gel Bunion Cushions are available in two thicknesses: regular and extra thick.
Felt Bunion Pad—this slip-on Felt Bunion Pad has a circle cut out that gets placed over the bunion. The sturdy felt keeps pressure off the bunion and provides a barrier between your foot and your footwear.
Gel Bunion Sleeve—this sleeve made of soft, satin fabric provides superior cushioning for bunions. Slip on the gel bunion sleeve over your big toe with ease and get immediate relief from pressure. The soft gel pad conforms to your foot without creating a bulk in your shoe. This product is washable and can be worn on either foot.
These are just a few of the products we offer to help ease the pain and discomfort of bunions. Shop our online catalog to see all of our foot care products. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact us by calling (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723) or visit our Deerfield Beach, FL store.