At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know that patients with bunions suffer even more during the holiday season. Hours of shopping at the mall, standing on long lines at the post office and grocery store, trying to squeeze your feet into festive shoes—all of these activities and longer periods of time on your feet make bunion pain worse.
Reduce the Pain
There are ways to help keep bunion discomfort under control:
- It’s best to avoid shoes with high heels and narrow toe boxes that squeeze the toes and put extra pressure on bunions.
- Take breaks, especially when it comes to standing for long periods of time. Put your feet up if possible, but at the very least, get off them and sit for periods of time throughout the day. Yes, it may take a little longer to complete your holiday tasks, but you’ll be able to do more in the long run.
- Wear your custom orthotic as much as possible if your Podiatrist has prescribed one for your bunion.
Products that Can Help
We offer many products that can help with bunion pain. A sampling of these include:
- Gel Bunion Cushion – a flexible gel pad that slips easily over your big toe provides superior cushioning over the bunion and feels silky smooth against your skin. The gel pad conforms to the shape of your bunion and gives immediate relief from footwear pressure. Designed for use in all styles of footwear, the Gel Bunion Cushion can be washed and re-used over and over again.
- Gel Bunion Sleeve – provides superior cushioning over the bunion area and slips on easily over the big toe. Gel bunion sleeves also come in two sizes S/M and L/XL.
- Spreader with Bunion Combo – this product not only cushions and protects bunions, it separates the toes, encouraging proper alignment. It also prevents the first and second toes from rubbing together, thereby reducing painful irritation between the toes. The Spreader with Bunion Combo is latex free and can be worn on either the left or right foot.
- Bunion Care Compression Sleeve – slipping over your entire foot, the Bunion Care Compression Sleeve has a large, soft gel pad inside the fabric that protects the bunion from abrasion and pressure. It also releases a medical grade mineral oil to continually moisturize and soften the skin. The pad conforms to your foot and will not create bulk in your shoes. It’s latex free and hypoallergenic.
- Gel Bunion Night Splint – this product not only reduces bunion pressure and aligns the big toe but also stretches the muscles and tendons to slow down the progression of a bunion. Comes with an adjustable mid-foot binder and gel along the inside with leather on the exterior. Gel Bunion Night Splints come in 2 sizes that fit comfortably on both men and woman.
- Bunion Night Splint – this splint properly aligns the big toe to reduce the bunion pressure and helps stretch the muscles and tendons to slow down the progression of a bunion. Bunion Night Splint is latex free, comes in two sizes and recommended for surgery recovery immediately following the surgical dressing removal.
- Felt Bunion Pad – this removable and slip on felt helps alleviate the pressure of the bunion. Can be worn two different ways to accommodate the pressure you are experiencing.
These several products we offer all can help relieve your bunion pain. We also offer products that can help with many other foot and ankle conditions. Shop our online catalog to see them all or visit our Deerfield Beach, FL store. For more information, contact us by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).