At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we know that across the country people are self-isolating in their homes due to the Coronavirus. Many people, however, are determined to continue with some form of regular exercise and this is a good idea. The benefits of exercise to your feet and the rest of your body are multiple:
- Improving circulation
- Maintaining flexibility and range of motion
- Lower your risk of heart disease and hypertension
- Reducing stress
- Help maintain a healthy weight
- Lowering cholesterol and blood sugar
Not Your Usual Exercise Routine
Without being able to visit the gym, play a team sport or even go to the store to buy new exercise equipment, staying fit requires some creativity. Fortunately, there are ways to continue to work out indoors. Consider some of these possibilities:
- Just dance! Energetic dancing burns lots of calories and it releases feel-good endorphins as well. Dig out your old Dance Party game DVDs or just put on a favorite CD or station and get moving. This is a good activity to do with children as well. Mix it up with some freeze dancing and different family members taking turns at being DJ.
- Use your media. There are an endless number of apps, YouTube videos and even TV exercise shows through which you can find a wide variety of different exercise programs. Whether you want to strength train, burn calories and lose weight or work on specific muscle groups, it’s all there. You may actually discover a new routine or two that you’ll want to continue even after isolation is over.
- Set up an indoor exercise circuit. Use several rooms if necessary but set up stations for crunches, push-ups, etc. Use the hallway for lunges and the stairs for stepping. Need weights? Try soup cans or various size water bottles or milk jugs.
Keep Feet Safe
Indoors or out, follow appropriate precautions for your feet:
- Wear your sneakers or other appropriate footwear for exercise.
- Protect and cushion bunions, hammertoes or other vulnerable areas. Consider our Gel Bunion Sleeve, Metatarsal and Bunion Protector Sleeve and Gel Hammertoe Cushions with Adjustable Crest Pad.
- Be mindful of chronic problems. Tight Achilles? Use our Achilles Heel Sleeve. Susceptible to heel pain? Try our Arch Steppers or Gel Heel Cup.
Remember with any new fitness activity, if your feet hurt, stop and contact your Podiatrist for directions. We offer products for all type of foot problems. To see our complete selection, view our online catalog. All products can be easily ordered online or contact us at (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).