June is Men’s Health Month and at Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads we want to encourage men and the women who love them to take a look at ways to help men live longer and healthier lives. Currently, men die at higher rates than women for 9 out of the top 10 causes of death in our country. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), on average, women live 5 years longer than men. One of the primary reasons for this is that men neglect preventive health care and put off seeking evaluation and treatment of pain. When it comes to feet, this can lead to a number of serious consequences, including:
- Missed diagnosis of dangerous diseases such as diabetes and skin cancer.
- Treating minor foot problems before they become seriously debilitating.
- Keeping chronic conditions in check.
- Allowing foot pain to keep someone from being active and thereby contributing to weight gain, loss of physical fitness and increased risk for disease.
Make a Change for the Better
It is possible to reverse this course, however, and help all men be healthier. Like any life changes, it’s best to start small. Try one or more of the following suggestions or help a man you love to start taking better care of his podiatric health by:
- Not putting off seeking treatment for foot pain. Heel pain, for example, can be the result of fallen arches or a natural loss of fat in the heel pad. Your Podiatrist will be able to track down the source of the discomfort and prescribe the proper treatment. Many products are also available that can help such as the Gel Heel Pads or Arch Steppers.
- Get in the habit of examining your feet regularly. From fungal infections to diabetes, changes in your feet can signal a developing problem. Catching podiatric problems in their early stages means easier and less invasive treatments. Look for changes in color, shape, swelling, bruises, cuts that are slow to heal, growths and anything that seems unusual or different and report anything suspicious to your Podiatrist promptly.
- Make healthy lifestyle changes. Don’t smoke, eat a nutritious diet and exercise regularly to improve overall health. Take advantage of products that help make exercise more comfortable such as Full Length Orthotics and Gel Malleolar Sleeve for increased ankle support.
At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we’re here to support good foot health for all men and women. To see a complete selection of products, view our online catalog. If you need assistance with our easy online ordering, don’t hesitate to contact us at: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).