Here’s a scenario that Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads commonly sees occurring in the month of January. Many people make New Year’s resolutions to get in shape. They are so gung-ho to achieve their goals that they start out a full speed—working out intensely every day for a week or two, even if they’ve been inactive for months. This often leads to very sore muscles and injuries. The Achilles tendon, the strongest tendon in the body, is one of the most commonly injured. Tight calf muscles, combined with exercise routines that involve stair steppers, hill running and prolonged activity that use the tendon quickly lead to inflammation, otherwise known as Achilles tendonitis. In worse case scenarios, tears or even a rupture can occur.
Achilles Products to Help
In most cases, rest and reducing strain on the tendon are recommended. We have products that can help:
Achilles Heel Sleeve—soft fabric contains gel pads gently compress the tendon area and reduce pressure around the sore area. The sleeve slips over the heel and up the ankle. The Achilles Heel Sleeve is washable and can be re-used over and over. It is latex-free and designed for all styles of footwear. Available in two sizes for a custom fit.
Adjustable Heel Lifts—three layers of resilient rubber allows you to set the height to 1/8, ¼ or 3/8 of an inch. Adjustable Heel Lifts have a suede leather top cover which makes them comfortable and durable. They are available in three sizes to all sizes of men and women’s shoes.
Other Heel Lifts—we also offer heel lifts made of cork, PPT and other materials to allow you to choose the best material for your comfort.
Felt Heel Pads– we carry a variety of heel pads that help alleviate heel pain. These felt pads fit most women and men’s shoes and are latex free.
Gel Heel Pads – these soft gel pads cushion the heels with each step. They are washable and reusable with a velvet soft top cover for extra comfort for your heels.
Heel Elevator – This foot elevator doughnut- style device helps lift the heel off the bed to prevent pressure. The cover is washable and the Velcro closure allows for an adjustable fit.
All of our products are designed by a Podiatrist. To see what other conditions we can help with, shop our online catalog or our Deerfield Beach store. Questions? Contact us by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).
Running is a great way to get in shape. At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, however, we know that it also can put quite a bit of strain on your feet and ankles. As a runner, there are some precautions you can take to help avoid harm to your feet. These include:
- Wearing the proper shoes. Running shoes are specifically designed for the motion and stress put on your feet by this activity. Be sure to get professionally measured and fitted and replace running shoes when they are worn out.
- Warm up. The proper stretches at the beginning and end of your run can go a long way toward preventing injury as well as several chronic foot and ankle conditions.
- Listen to your body. Always start out slowly and gradually increase your workout as your fitness level increases. If you experience pain, don’t try to run through it. Stop! If the pain is ongoing or acute, contact your Podiatrist to get it evaluated.
Common Runner Problems
Some lower extremity issues commonly associated with running include:
Runner’s Toe—the repeated hitting of the toe up against the front of the shoe can cause the toenail to become bruised and black. Avid runners are also at a higher risk for ingrown toenails. Don’t let a sore toe keep you off the track. Our All Gel Toe Cap and our Gel and Fabric Toe Caps can provide protective cushioning to the toe for increased comfort when you run.
Ankle Sprains—this is a very common injury, especially if you run on uneven surfaces such as city sidewalks or wooded trails. Full rehabilitation of ankle injuries is necessary to prevent weak ankles from becoming a chronic problem. Our Gel Malleolar Sleeve cushions the ankle and protects against impact, pressure and injury. We also offer moleskin rolls and an extensive variety of tapes in various materials and sizes to help ankles stay stable.
Achilles Tendonitis—this condition is prevalent among professional runners and “weekend warriors.” It can result from overuse or from a sudden increase in duration or intensity of your run. Hill running can also inflame this tendon. Try our Achilles Heel Sleeve or one of our heel lifts or pads to help prevent Achilles issues.
We have many other products that can help runners. Visit our online catalog or our Deerfield Beach, FL store or contact us by calling (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723) for more choices.
At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads we understand how your feet affect the rest of your body. After all, your feet are the foundation of your entire body. How your feet feel has a significant impact on how the rest of your body feels and performs. Biomechanical dysfunction in your feet can cause misalignment and imbalances that cause stress and lead to foot disorders such as plantar fasciitis, metatarsalgia, post-tibial tendonitis, Morton’s neuroma, Achilles tendonitis, bunions, heel spurs, shin splints and tarsal tunnel syndrome. It can also result in knee, hip and back pain.
Pre-fab orthotics can help adjust for biomechanical problems. Other benefits of our pre-fab orthotics include:
- Help correct abnormal foot motion, provide support and stability, absorb shock and shift pressure off of uncomfortable spots on your foot
- Correct abnormal walking patterns which in turn increases balance and helps prevent falls
- Bring relief of foot pain and soreness for patients who are overweight, have to be on their feet for long periods of time or who have a leg length discrepancy
- Allow athletes to optimize performance while enhancing foot comfort
- Protect and increase comfort for patients with chronic conditions like diabetes and arthritis
- Slow or halt the progression of existing foot conditions
- Lightweight, super-thin design that is sturdy and durable
- Base that is anti-microbial and anti-bacterial
- Designed by a podiatrist
- Lower cost than custom-made orthotics
Our Arch Steppers and Memory Molds are available for men and women, can be used for all styles of footwear and have provided comfort and relief to patients for over 16 years.
Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads offers many products to relieve a full spectrum of foot and ankle problems. To view all of our products, take a look at our online catalog or visit our store in Deerfield Beach, FL. You can place your order online or contact us at: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723).
Your Achilles tendon runs along the back of your lower leg, connecting your heel bone to your calf muscle. Although it is one of the strongest tendons in your body, it is also one of the most frequently injured.
Achilles tendonitis and tendonosis occur when the tendon becomes inflamed. Considered an “overuse injury,” Achilles tendonitis affects both serious athletes and “weekend warriors.” Some activities that put strain on the tendon are running—particularly sprints, which cause you to push off forcefully, stair stepping and hill climbing. Any sudden increase in intensity or duration of repetitive activities that put stress on the tendon can result in inflammation. Symptoms of an Achilles disorder include pain anywhere along the tendon, tenderness and/or a feeling of tiredness or sluggishness in the lower leg.
Relieving and Protecting
At Dr. Jill’s Foot Pads, we have 3 ways to help relieve the pain and strain on the Achilles tendon. These products, all designed by a highly experienced podiatrist, can help reduce the strain on the tendon and lessen pain:
- Achilles Heel Sleeve—this sleeve fits over your foot and covers it from above the ankle to the middle of your foot. Made of a soft fabric with gel pads inside to cushion the back of the heel area, the Achilles Heel Sleeve protects the affected part of the heel and leg from friction while gently compressing and reducing pressure around the sore areas. The sleeve is washable, and the pads can be re-used over and over again. It comes in 2 sizes, S/M and L/XL, and is suitable for use with all types of footwear.
- Heel Lifts—these are often recommended by podiatrists to reduce stress on the tendon while it heals. Heel lifts help your tendon to be stretched less and therefore more relaxed. We offer 3 types of heel lifts: PPT, Cork and Adjustable Heel Lifts, which are made of resilient rubber. With the adjustable heel lifts you can peel off one or two layers to adjust the heel height for maximum comfort. Heel lifts come in various thicknesses and a number of different styles.
- Heel Pads—these come in two sizes, J-22 and J-64. Heel pads also offer cushioning for protection and comfort to those suffering with Achilles tendon issues.
To order these or any of our other foot care products, contact us by calling: (866) FOOT-PAD (366-8723) or visit our Deerfield Beach store.